Today in Moscow, the Russian Bentley office holds a seminar on the company’s solutions in bridge design and construction. Several presentations will overview well known Bentley’s products and solutions RM Bridge (an integrated package looking like CAD/CAE/ for bridges) and BrIM (Bridge Information Modelling, something close to BIM).
The key speaker of the seminar is Vanja Samec – Global Sales director for RM Bridge at Bentley. Vanja, PhD, Dipl.Ing., she has an impressive professional bio: after graduating Civil Engineering /University of Technology / Faculty of Civil Engineering Ljubljana, Slovenia she had 20 years of practice with TDV/Bentley Systems Austria (practical projects, research, software development and leading sales of RM Bridge global). Vanja directly took active part in construction of Kwangan Bridge PUSAN KOREA, Stonecutter’s Bridge HONG-KONG, Dou-Shan Viaduct TAIWAN, Pöchlarn Bridge over Danube VIENNA AUSTRIA…
Before the seminar in Moscow Vanja kindly agreed to give an interview for isicad.ru. See below two small fragments from the interview illustrated by the pictures I found in the Internet. Above all, bridges always look exciting...
How many bridges have been designed with RM Bridge? Can you give some examples?
This is for sure very difficult question – RM Bridge is continuously in the world market for about 40 years. Thousands of bridges have been successfully designed and built by RM Bridge. Perhaps I can mention just most significant, recent long span bridges from Asia, where RM Bridge has been used as analysis, design and also construction engineering tool on the site, when erection control by contractor was needed:
• Sutong Cable Stayed Bridge in China over Yangtze River between Nantong and Suzhou in China with main span of 1088 m (world record)
• Stone Cutter Bridge in Hong Kong – Cable Stayed Bridge with main span of 1018 m (very advanced dynamic wind analysis by RM Bridge was provided as the bridge is located in very well known typhoon area)
• Sheik Zayed Bridge in Abu Dhabi (UAE) – very attractive bridge in Abu Dhabi, where architect Zaha Hadid created the shape of the bridge due to desert dune impression. Such geometry requested of course several difficult requirements, which company High Point Rendell from UK successfully solved with RM Bridge
What are the most interesting projects you personally participated in? What results have you achieved in it?
My professional work was very wide spread: programming, supporting customers and users of our applications, projects, trainings and in last year responsibility for global technical sale of RM Bridge. Each period brought some highlights:
- In programming it was a highlight, when finished Windows version of graphical result module for FEM software Plate/Shear Wall, which was before under DOS.
- Later, when programming RM Bridge, it was a team success, when the first version of new Windows generation versions RM2000 was released
- My favor FEM project was an interchange in Oslo, very sharp curved and our Plate application managed even very complicated radial reinforcement. I worked together with our user from Norway.
- The new generation of RM Bridge versions brought several projects, where I was involved in programming team and each of them brought some highlights. Perhaps memories on the first one – Kwangan Bridge in South Korea, where the calculation was done and I programmed the module for result presentation parallel, when our partner from Seoul was sitting in the room next to mine…